Tested with Word 2010 and 2013 at the time of this writing.
- Open the Word file with MS-Word
- Click File > Save As > choose Rich Text Format (*.rtf)
- Select “File” > “Close”
- Open the file with Notepad
- Press CTRL F type passwordhash >
- Replace passwordhash with hashpassword
- Save the file and Close Notepad.
- Go back to MS-Word and open the .rtf file.
- Click the Review ribbon > Click Restrict Editing > when the screen open, uncheck all checked boxes. Stop Protection etc.
**Sometimes the option to STOP PROTECTION is already unchecked because the password was changed.
- Click File > Save As > restore the file format back to (*.docx) (*.doc)