- Tested with Word 2010 and 2013 at the time of this writing.
- Open the file you want the ‘Restriction’ removed from with MS-Word.
- Then Click File > Save As > choose Rich Text Format (*.rtf)
- Select “File” > “Close”
- Open the newly saved file with Notepad
- Press CTRL-F to Search and type passwordhash
- Click Find Next
- Change the word passwordhash to hashpassword
- Save the file and Close Notepad.
- Re-open file you just saved.
- Click the Review ribbon > Click Restrict Editing > when the screen opens, uncheck all checked boxes. Click Stop Protection.
**Sometimes the option to STOP PROTECTION is already unchecked because the password was changed.
- Click File > Save As > revert the file format back to (*.docx) (*.doc)